Sunday 13 May 2018

Return to Pontevedra

 Hello!


 Of the Galician towns and cities I had visited, Pontevedra was quite possibly my favourite. I had spent just one afternoon there as part of a bigger excursion with my Galician class, but I had fallen in love with it and was keen to go back. 

 So, while my mother and grandmother were staying with me, I arranged a trip. We took the bus into Vigo and to the coach station. I am not a big user of coaches - I went to Santiago de Compostela on one, but I normally prefer trains - so navigating the big coach station felt like an achievement.

 Finally, we were on our way. The sea and countryside were gorgeous and the journey was peaceful and passed quickly. We arrived at the coach station on the outskirts of Pontevedra, then had to find our way to the town centre. The walk was nice, although very warm. We saw a lot of fidget spinners.








 We passed a fountain I recognised, and soon we were in town. Pontevedra was as lovely as ever, full of water, flowers, light and laughter.






















 We drifted into the backstreets, where it was cooler. The winding alleys were reminiscent of many a Galician town I had visited and the familiarity was quite comforting.









This cat appeared a lot


The famous "Santiago cake"











 We had spotted a crêpe parlour earlier, and now we headed in for a meal. Most of the crêpes - both savoury and sweet - were presented in a deconstructed way, rather than wrapped up. It was a surprise, but I liked it.






 We explored a basket shop.


 In another shop I found wannabe Tamagotchis being sold very cheaply and decided to get one and see what it was like. It was fairly awful. I recommend sticking to the real deal.


 We found the parrot I had met last time and he said "Hello" (literally!).




Cute cars for kids to ride around in

Books about a croquette and a pasty

 We returned to the coach station and to Vigo. I was glad to have spent more time in Pontevedra - it is a special place and I just feel very comfortable there. Who knows, maybe I will live there some day.

 Thanks for reading.

 Liz x

No comments:

Post a Comment