Wednesday 11 April 2018

My Mam and Granma in Vigo

 Hello!


 My semester in Galicia was sadly coming to an end. However, I had something to look forward to: as they had done in Avignon, my mother and grandmother would be visiting me for a few days. 

 My Mam and I would then fly back to the UK together, while my Granma would return to Ireland.

 As the days became hotter and the sky ever bluer, I made the most of my remaining weeks in Vigo. I wandered around town and relaxed by the sea

 I enjoyed the city's quirkiness all over again - the Merman and his Celta shirt and scarf; the E.T. on a bike suspended from the ceiling in the A Laxe shopping centre. I listened to the breeze in the palm trees, and watched the impressive boats and little birds that frequented the harbour.



















 My mother arrived, and I met her in town. We enjoyed pizza and ice-cream at A Laxe, and were amazed by the size of a cruise ship that had moored. It dwarfed the Maritime Station building, which had always struck me as big and imposing.



 We caught the bus that would normally have taken us up to campus. However, today it finished its route in one of the villages on the way up the mountain, and we had to wait there for the next bus. This was a bit of a pain when we had luggage, but it was an incredibly pretty place. 




I wasn't sure at first whether this was a cat or a fox

This gate had a sign saying "Dangerous dog"

 We eventually reached campus, and I introduced my Mam to the loud frogs that lived in the pond outside my room. She had visited me before but in winter, and I was so glad she had the chance to see the hills and pine forests in their spring beauty. We had a nice, chilled afternoon.

 The next day we headed into Vigo to meet my Granma. She hadn't visited the city before so we spent some time exploring, strolling down the Calle Príncipe and looking in shops.





 On Porta do Sol my Granma met the Dinosaur and we encountered an orchestra.



 We went down to A Laxe, where we had some frozen yogurt and checked out a bicycle exhibition, a bakery and a craft and trinket shop.





Sweet kids' hairdresser






 Back outside, we introduced Granma to two famous Vigo sculptures, the forlorn-looking Swimmer and the tentacled tribute to Jules Verne. 




 We had chosen some pastries at the bakery and now we sat and enjoyed them in the sun. Someone had left biscuits on the ground and seagulls were fighting passionately over them.





 We made our way back to Porta do Sol to get the bus back to campus.


The football bus!


An interesting idea to have an escalator leading up from a main shopping street - I imagine it is useful for people laden with bags


 The bus took us back up the mountain, where we admired the gorgeous sunset.








 It had been a wonderful two days and I couldn't wait to see what other adventures we would have.

 Thanks for reading.

 Liz x

No comments:

Post a Comment