Saturday 3 February 2018

The coastal fort at Baroña

 Hello!


 The first and second segments of our Galician class excursion - the beach at Carnota and the old town of Muros - had gone really well, so I was looking forward to our final destination, the coastal fort at Baroña.

 We arrived a little inland, and walked down through the woods to the sea. It was late afternoon, and the light was exquisite. The sea was sparkling and the sky was clear. It felt almost dreamlike.




 It was an amazing moment when the old settlement came into view. Perched on a peninsula, almost completely surrounded by water, the neat roundness of the remains of the old buildings gave me a jolt. They have survived the elements for two thousand years.





 We climbed up to the fort and began to explore.






 The sea was wild and gorgeous and incredibly blue.











 I was delighted to discover what I think was an iguana and a gecko scuttling in and out of the rocks.









 I and a couple of others scrambled to the very top of the hill, and sat on a rock looking down on the settlement. It was stunning, and worth the effort of getting up there and sliding back down afterwards!



 We then made our way back inland, leaving the fort behind. We chilled for a bit in a café and ate (more) ice-cream, before getting back into the minibus. We would be driven up Monte Louro to briefly enjoy the views before going home.

 The bus took us most of the way up the mountain. We climbed the last part ourselves, and the views really were something.








 We settled back into the minibus for the journey back to Vigo. I reflected happily on what had been without doubt one of the best days of my time in Galicia - and of my whole year abroad

 Carnota was like heaven on earth, Muros was very pretty and Baroña was a place I really connected with and which made me quite emotional. I would love to return there.

 Thanks for reading,

 Liz x

No comments:

Post a Comment