Thursday 3 August 2017

Vigo by night

 Hello!


 My last blog post left me in the A Laxe shopping centre at Vigo's harbour. After finishing my frozen yogurt I took the lift up to the roof terrace to have a look at the night-time views. They were unspeakably gorgeous.










 Eventually I pulled myself away from the glorious sight and crossed the bridge that led from A Laxe back into the city centre. The bridge offered its own magnificent views.






The Rotary Club monument

The sculpture of "The Swimmer"


 The bridge took me to Praza de Pedra - Stone Square. It was a nice, calm, old area.






An ocean-themed jewellery shop

Books For Dreaming

 I made my way to the Plaza de la Constitución - Constitution Square. It had lots of bars and restaurants and was very lively.


 I turned onto Porta do Sol/Puerta del Sol - the Sun Gate - one of the big shopping streets in Vigo. It was busy and fun. It also had a stop for the bus that would take me back to campus, which was useful!



More dinosaurs!

 I also had my first encounter with a sculpture that unlike The Horses at Plaza de España, I hadn't been expecting. El Sireno - The Merman - was unlike anything I had ever seen, and he took my breath away. 


 Shining silver against the velvety dark sky, he had an ethereal quality to him, at the same time as feeling ancient. I have always had a love for, and fascination with, water and the sea, and I felt an instant, powerful connection to this strange creature.

 I found the bus stop, and also Five Monkeys Coffee, whose frappés I would later fall in love with. For now, I caught my bus and we trundled off back up the dark forested mountain to campus.



 I had enjoyed a good glimpse of Vigo, though of course there was still much more to see. I also wanted to travel around the region of Galicia and see other towns, cities and natural wonders.

 All of that happened, and I hope you enjoy following my blog and sharing my adventures in this incredible place.

 Thanks for reading!

 Liz x

No comments:

Post a Comment