Monday 31 July 2017

My first trip into Vigo

 Hello!


 After a couple of days getting used to life on the University of Vigo's mountain campus, I decided to take my first trip back into the city centre since arriving.

 I made my way down from the residence to the bus stop. The route involved a forested area and a set of steps carved into the hillside, which I would come to think of as "the woodland steps". At the time they were also rather wet steps, and they were so heaped with fallen pine needles that the descent was nearly diagonal. 

 I made it, however, and spotted the famous green Vitrasa bus that would take me into town. It was fairly empty and I was able to take a seat. 

 We set off down the mountain, passing little villages and communities, fields, vineyards and open forest. Having taken next to no buses in Avignon, just being on one would have been a novelty even without the stunning views.

 I wasn't sure where to get off - there were a lot of stops in the city centre. In the end I stayed on until we were almost at Guixar Station, which was the bus's terminus. At least I vaguely knew the area from the night of my arrival, though in daylight I imagined it would look pretty different.

 I hopped off the bus and began to explore. It was late afternoon and cool and pleasant, and the sky was very blue. There weren't many people about and I had a wander and took some photos.







This orange stuff is very popular with buildings in Vigo








I'm not sure whether this is a painting or a mosaic, but it's beautiful


 I reached Vigo-Guixar, one of the main railway stations (the other being Vigo-Urzáiz). It's very colourful!









 I walked along the street for a while, looking out for a shop where I could buy some basic supplies. The sun was just starting to set. I passed a little park with a chicken sculpture and a water feature.




 







A funny shed-type building sitting on the street - I wonder what it is?













 I found a small shop and bought water and some exercise books for Uni. I headed back to the station to catch the next bus, as it would be my last one back.

This guy is everywhere in Vigo!






 The bus arrived and off we went, through town and up the hill. This time the bus was jam-packed with students and I had to perch near the door, but there was a good atmosphere.

 I arrived on campus to a gorgeous sky. Vigo sunsets are a real gift to photograph.








 It was an enjoyable day, and a nice first taste of the city. Now that I had worked out how the buses worked, I couldn't wait to go back and explore further.

 Thanks for reading,

 Liz x

No comments:

Post a Comment