Wednesday 2 August 2017

Exploring Vigo

 Hello!


 After my first brief trip into Vigo, in which I explored the Areal area near Guixar Station, I decided to visit again and this time try to see more of the city centre and maybe the sea. 

 The sky was overcast as I arrived at the sculpture and fountains known as the Atlantic Gate. It sits in the middle of the roundabout at Plaza de América, and represents Vigo's importance as a port. 








 Another point of interest on Plaza de América was the entrance to a shopping centre called Camelias - and there were flowers that looked a lot like camellias outside.





 I ventured into Camelias. It is a big space with a range of shops and cafés.




 I wandered around for a bit, before buying a cheese and ham slice at a bakery and heading back out into the street.







 I began to walk up Gran Via. It is a long, long road, lined with trees, lanterns, more flowers, and shops, many with English or Spanglish names.




The Spanish and Galician flags











Another roundabout feature - Vigo likes them!

Fluffy little dog



One of those useful continental chemists' signs with the time and temperature

 I finally arrived at one of the Vigo landmarks I had been most looking forward to seeing. The five wild horses in the centre of the roundabout at Plaza de España were even more majestic than I had imagined, standing and running and rearing, tall and proud.

 Standing there, looking up at them, I knew I would always treasure that moment.





 I also admired a beautiful mural.








The symbol of Celta de Vigo football club

A familiar sight outside Vigo's bars







 I encountered a second dramatic sculpture, the Monument to Work. It depicts real strength and solidarity, as well as Vigo's intrinsic connection to the sea, as the men are pulling a fishing net. Overall, it is a really remarkable sight.





 I turned onto Rúa Urzáiz. I saw a building with what looked like a little Greek temple on the top. It was odd but impressive.




I continued down the street. It was clear that I was now in one of the main shopping areas of the city.






 I arrived at an intersection of three streets, and at the huge and intricate lamppost known as La Farola. It was also being used as an intersection for many strings of festive lights.






 Finally, at the end of the street, it appeared: a slice of sea! It looked like a slightly moody sea, but I was still keen to go down and have a closer look.




An elegant seagull

An ex-seagull


Grumpy graffiti












 I was getting ever closer to the sea. I passed through a park with some statues.







 At last the seafront opened up before me. Trees were filled with golden lights. In the middle of the cold and rain and greyness, there was a strange sense of cosiness.






 I went and stood by the harbour, happy to be back near water. The sea was one of the things I missed most when living in Avignon, although I did develop a bond with the River Rhône.

 The Atlantic looked beautiful even in the bleak weather. I drifted along the boardwalk, taking in the sights, sounds and smells of the sea,









 I spotted another exciting piece of art - this one is a tribute to Jules Verne, who included a chapter about Vigo in 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea and also visited the city.





 I met some dinosaurs!





This guy is called "The Swimmer". I reference him in my poem "Meiga"

Another tribute, this time to the Rotary Club

 A shopping centre called A Laxe dominated the skyline. I decided to check it out.







 I explored the shopping centre for a while, ending up at a frozen yogurt shop. I loved eating Smöoy frozen yogurt when I lived in Salamanca, and although this was a different brand - Yogen Früz - I gave it a go.



 The frozen yogurt is self-service - you choose the flavour, sauces and toppings, and then the final product is weighed to determine the price. I picked various bits and bobs and was happy with the result.


 I ate my yogurt looking out over the sea and the lights of the harbour. By the time I had finished, the sky was a deep indigo, with a few brave stars. 

 I will share my night-time adventures in Vigo in the next post, so watch this space!

 Thanks for reading.

 Liz x

No comments:

Post a Comment