Saturday 26 August 2017

Dogs, daisies and dinner

 Hello!


 One day during my stay in Vigo I had a letter to post. I wanted to check it was okay weight-wise so rather than sticking it in a postbox, I decided to find a post office in the city centre. This turned out to be more of an adventure than I had imagined. 

 I used Google Maps on my phone to direct me. The thing is, I reached the place where the post office was supposed to be and couldn't see it. On my little map I was standing right by it; in the real world there was no sign. It reminded me of the moment in Harry Potter where he sees himself cross paths with Peter on the Marauder's Map, but when he looks up there's no one there. It was kind of spooky.

 So, I headed to the port area where I knew for a fact there was a post office. It was inside a bigger building with various services, and I had to get a lift up quite a few floors. When I got out the post office was right in front of me. It all felt slightly surreal. The man there was very helpful and I sent my letter.

 Mission accomplished, I spent some time exploring this part of town. There were several impressive mosaic columns, some bright flowers and lots of gulls.



































 Across the road from the port, there was a nice patch of greenery, full of daisies.


A gaiteiro is a player of gaitas, like bagpipes (Carlos Núñez is a gaiteiro).





















 I headed back towards the city centre. I found myself in a pleasant little park with pigeons and fountains. Someone had clearly been enjoying some sunflower seeds on a bench!



















An unexpected pigeon!






 I wandered on, beneath some old buildings facing the estuary.





"Forever"



















 I found the cruceiro we had admired on our city tour.





 I also met a sweet little dog.






Spot the builders






























 Back in familiar territory, I headed to a restaurant that had been on my radar for a while. It was nautically-themed, with a big ship's wheel and portholes.






 I went in and ordered from the lunch menu. 


 I chose pumpkin soup with walnuts and curry, fish of the day with salad and a skinned butter-soaked potato (a common Galician dish element) and cheesecake with berries (this wasn't on the menu; they offered me it because they were out of lemon cups). It was all lovely.




 So, what started as a trip to the post office became a fun and unusual day in town, ending in a delicious meal. I hope you've enjoyed my photos!

 Thanks for reading.

 Liz x

No comments:

Post a Comment