Tuesday 6 September 2016

Avignon: Getting started

 Hello!


 I arrived in Avignon on Saturday afternoon and since then life has been moving very fast. On Sunday I did some unpacking and preparing for the week. Then on Monday morning I headed to the Université d'Avignon et des Pays de Vaucluse (UAPV) which is a short walk for me as I live very centrally.



 We met in front of the beautiful old building, which we were told was built originally as a hospital. We were led to a little courtyard where we mingled, signed up for things and ate tiny croissants and pastries from a basket - it was all very Provençal! They had tea, too, to some people's relief (I'm not a tea-drinker myself. People I meet abroad are always shocked by this).

 I met some new people and chatted, before having a tour of the university. It looks pretty exciting.




 We were given coupons for a free lunch, so we headed for the canteen. It was very reminiscent of the canteen in the school I taught at in Perpignan; they had the same layout and the glasses, for example, were identical to the ones here. There was also the same means of sending off your tray on a little conveyor belt when you were finished with it.

 The dishes of the day were hake or pork, and I chose the former. I tend to go for fish over meat although I also generally try to avoid both. Like in Perpignan there was a wide range of desserts, and I had a little cup of some creamy toffee-flavoured stuff. I also enjoyed the free cold water!


 After lunch I sorted some admin and successfully came into possession of a student card. Other people had French classes but because my level is quite high, with me having lived in France before, I was told I wouldn't need them. So I decided to go for an explore.

 Outside the university there are some gorgeous roses.



 I headed out of the city walls and in again - I hadn't realised at this point that I could get straight from the Uni into the walled town.




 Back through the walls I went, to find some shoes in an interesting place.















 I was exceptionally happy to catch sight of a Cubanito Café - the Montpellier one does amazing non-alcoholic cocktails so hopefully this one will too!










 Not content with shoes, someone has also thrown a spoon up...


 I arrived at the Rue des Fourbisseurs. And wow. It would be an ordinary backstreet if not for...



 ... the umbrellas! It was one of those sights that is both a joy and a source of angst to photograph - joy because it's so so magical, angst because you know you can never truly do it justice. It's one of those things you really have to see in person. Standing under them is just amazing.








 At the end of Rue des Fourbisseurs was another very welcome sight: a French Coffee Shop! I went to the Perpignan one for my birthday, and they do the most scrumptious drinks. I got a FrioTella, a cold Nutella milkshake. It was divine.


 I relaxed there for a bit, then went on exploring.

Hank?




Sweet shop paradise

You can take a little basket and shop for sweets with it!








 I found myself in the Place de l'Horloge, one of the main squares.


















 No French town or city is complete without its carousel. This one was very vibrant and bright.















 I was very happy to find myself at the Palais de Papes and see it in daylight at last.


















 I then did what I do in every new French town - I caught the little tour train!


 We had a really nice tour. I especially enjoyed climbing up to the top of the hilly area by the Palais. The views of Avignon, the Rhône and the famous bridge (le Pont d'Avignon) were stunning.

 I then headed home feeling very tired, but glad that I was getting to know my new city.


 Thanks for reading,

 Liz x

No comments:

Post a Comment