Tuesday 9 June 2015

My birthday in Perpignan

 Salut!


 Between the last post, on Céret, and this one, you might notice a subtle change. Someone turned the sun on! Spring arrived seemingly overnight and transformed Perpignan and Canet from grey, cold and mysterious to bright and beautiful and full of life and hope.

 I moved from Cabestany to Perpignan proper at the beginning of February. That was a busy time, and soon after, it was half-term, which I spent at home in the UK. So the next real occasion I had to relax, do some exploring and take some photos was early March.

 My 21st birthday came around and my mother flew in to visit me for a few days. The last time she visited it was autumn and I myself was still quite new to the area. This time it was sunny and I was able to properly show her around.

 She arrived on the afternoon of my birthday and I met her at the station. We walked back into town together and I took her to Columbus, the favourite coffee shop of the assistants which is in the Place de la Loge, my favourite square in Perpignan.

 She enjoyed a strawberry milkshake and a slice of flan and I had a hot chocolate and one of Columbus's ever-famous Nutella muffins. It was lovely to sit and chat in the lively Place, with people coming and going and the elegant Venus statue opposite us.

 Several of the other assistants including music video director Toby and my favourite Galician, Loreto, appeared and said hello. Overall was had a really nice, peaceful afternoon.


 We hopped on the bus to my apartment, dumped my mother's luggage and went out again to Picard, pretty much the French version of Iceland, to find a birthday cake. We chose a chocolate fondant.

 Back at the apartment I opened the cards and presents my mother had brought. They were wonderful. And I'm not too old to wear a "21" badge!



 The cake was gorgeous - there was no way we could eat it all that night so we put some aside. My mother had brought some DVDs of British TV she had taped such as the Bake Off and People's Strictly and we watched a bit. You can never beat cake and dancing!

 So, that was my birthday. Having it in Perpignan was certainly different, but it was as enjoyable as always.

 Thanks for reading,

 Liz x

No comments:

Post a Comment