Sunday 19 October 2014

Montpellier

 Bonjour!


 The weather is nice but slightly windy. I've been told the wind will be around for a bit and will get stronger. Hopefully I won't get blown over!

 Last Tuesday, I set out for Montpellier. I had a training day on Wednesday and it was an early start so I travelled there the day before.

 You may know that I fell in love with France and French through a trip to Montpellier when I was at sixth-form college. I was therefore keen to get back and see the city again; to see if it had changed in the two and a half years since I was last there and to see if it still moved me the way it did before.

 Additionally, I have written a novel set in Montpellier that is set slightly in the future, so this was a useful chance to make sure that establishments mentioned still exist!

 I set out from the centre of the universe (aka Perpignan Railway Station).





 The journey was lovely - there was plenty of space on the train and I got a seat facing the right way and I listened to my music and watched the gorgeous countryside flash by and I was happy. I maintain that Languedoc-Roussillon is probably the most beautiful place I've ever seen.

 I arrived in Montpellier and was delighted to see the classic icons of the city - sunny, palm-lined streets, the colourful trams, the mish-mash of cultures, the cyber-café where I uploaded photographs to my blog during the college trip.

Vélomag!

Train station





 I made my way to the Place de la Comédie.








The characters in my book would get into trouble! They climb around in the fountain at one point!


 I headed through the old town to make a delivery. The streets were as steep and narrow and lovely as I remember.

Pedicab!















 I was pleased to run into the Arc de Triomphe. Some other people from my college trip went there but I had never seen it. It was really magnificent.








 Beyond the Arc there is the entrance to the Promenade du Peyrou.








 The Promenade is a lovely, calm place where you can walk or just sit and look down at the city which spreads all around. 









 I also saw the striking Chateau d'Eau (Water Castle).











 I then made my way back to the Place de la Comédie.





 At the Place I met up with an old friend. It was wonderful to see her again. I then caught a tram (the blue one with swallows) to Place de la France, near Odysseum, where I would get a bus to my hotel. 

 Odysseum was as bright and gaudy as ever but I really like it. It plays an important role in my novel.




Nice to see the aquarium is still there!

And Lazer Quest!






 I arrived at my hotel and received a warm welcome from the absolutely lovely English-speaking receptionist, She was brilliant. I ate there: a buffet including couscous, potato salad, cheese and many more things, which was really nice. I drank some divine apricot juice. Apricot juice here is amazing.

 I watched some Top Gun in French and went to bed. It got very stormy and I was glad to be indoors.

 In the morning I got my bus and tram back into Montpellier and to the CRDP - the educational centre where my training day would take place.

 The day was really useful; the staff answered some important questions and we received some good advice and tips for lesson-planning. It was also nice to see the other assistants from Perpignan and beyond (the day was for everyone in the academic region of Montpellier).

 Afterwards, I walked back through some pleasant greenery to the Place.






 I had one last walk across my beloved Place de la Comédie.




 And then back I went to the station.

Urgh, sick of seeing electronic cigarette stuff! One day maybe we'll have a world free of cigarettes, electronic or otherwise. I can only hope.

Colourful tram!



 I hopped on my train and off I went back to Perpignan, The scenery was mesmerising and I have lots of photos to share which you will see in the next post!

 It was great to see Montpellier again and I hope I can return soon.

 Thank you for reading.

 Liz x

No comments:

Post a Comment